Saturday, August 8, 2015

A New Obsession - A Collection of Coins From the Reigns of the Crowned Rulers of England and Great Britain

As I become more informed about my British/Canadian/Welsh/Norman/Danish family, I have increased my interest in English/British history. 
With the recent flurry of interest in Richard III, and rewriting his story, the monarchy running from William the Conqueror to the present has been much on my mind.  If you read a bit in my family history blog:  http://mitchell-day-jones.blogspot.com ,you will discover that my family in several branches arrived in England with William, and were well documented down through the centuries till they came to America in the 1620s, and landed in Canada after fleeing from the revolutionaries in the US. (burned out of two different houses, one in Bucks County, Pennsylvania and one in White Plains, New York before they decided that Nova Scotia and New Brunswick looked interesting.).


 
Anyway, I decided that it would be fun to collect coins from all the monarchs of England and Great Britain. 
I am by no means an expert, and may never actually complete the collection, because some of them are priced stratospherically, and some are virtually unattainable( think of the little princes(Edward V and his brother{Richmond} in the Tower of London, and how long he was king and in the position to make coins.)
I will try to communicate all that I learn about these coins, and to give you a few tips on collecting old coins as I learn them.
You have to understand too, that I am not doing this for the investment value.  I just love the idea of doing it.  I do not have the resources to buy the best coins available, and it is likely that many will be terrible coins, as best are available but out of most any one's price range really. 
Well, more on all that later, how to buy, what to buy and how to take care of them will follow eventually. 
I love this coin with the symbols of the four consolidated countries of Great Britain.  The rose for England, the thistle for Scotland, the shamrock for Ireland and the leek for Wales.  A sixpence is traditionally placed in the shoe of a bride on her wedding day.
 
 
Already, as of this writing, I have  almost all of the different monarchs collected, leaving only 1 more to buy...probably a pretty difficult one to find.  I have also purchased an Interregnum coin of Oliver Cromwell, who does not figure as a sovereign or as my total of coins collected. Some of the list were king two times, and though it would be nice to have one coin for each reign, I will be satisfied with one for each of the 38 kings or queens(crowned and ruling), no matter how many times they were on the throne.  I also do not count those who were never crowned.  That may save me from having to find that elusive Edward V, and Edward VIII may not be represented as he only had coins from outside the country by the time he abdicated. Although, some Commonwealth coins are shown.
Also, my English family history goes back only to William the Conqueror, so earlier Saxon kings and queens will not be included.  I probably could not afford them anyway...William is expensive enough, but earlier...God help me! Let me rephrase that.  I do have earlier history in my family in the Welsh line, and likely, if I eventually follow every line, I will go right back to the beginnings of royalty in England.

No comments:

Post a Comment